Monday, August 6, 2012

Intro + Book 1

     Well, I made this blog pretty much just for myself so I could document what books I've read, with maybe some occasional music thrown in. I don't know what it is about science fiction, but I find myself limiting the fiction I read to this genre. Maybe it's because so much of these sci-fi books and stories have applications that can applied in the real world? Maybe I'm drawn to it because of my own alienation with others? Maybe it's because it inspires us to learn more. In many cases, science fiction of the past has turned into science fact of the now. Science fiction instills wonder, hope, curiosity, and interest. It can even provide blueprints of how science was thought of in the past and present.
     I guess the bottom line for me is sometimes I'll read a book but only slightly recollect the premise when I look it up a year later. So hopefully this blog will help me recall and remember the good things I've read from here on out. To start it off, I'll just go ahead with this:


     I wish I had been smart enough to read this book back in high school. But I wasn't. In fact, I just read it about 3 months ago. After I was done reading it, I found out that I had read the version that was trimmed for publication. I'm kind of grateful for that because now I get to read the unabridged version and compare the differences (I'm sure the unabridged will be better). 
     This book is so interesting because while it is based in sci-fi, it deals primarily with real-world applications. Definitely would not call this a science fantasy novel like the cover of this version suggests. The story follows Valentine Michael Smith, a human who was born on Mars and raised as a Martian. When another Mars expedition finds him, he elects to travel back to Earth. He is not acclimated to Earth's climate and gravity at first but recovers quickly when in the hospital. Smith looks like a regular human, however that is about the extent of it. He can read a book in about as fast as it takes us to read a few pages, he has several psychic abilities that humans may be capable of reaching but have not. He doesn't know what a female is. He doesn't know what God is, what love is, what laughter is. But he wants to learn, and he wants to grok.
     I see two parts to the book. The first part, where he is truly A Stranger in a Strange Land and is unaware of peoples intentions and what specific items are used for. The second part, where he is still a stranger, but more accustomed overall. He finds more confidence and purpose. A large part of the book focuses on religion and spirituality. Smith, who eventually gets very rich because of some earthly circumstances, builds his own space (temple?)  and allows people to learn his 'Martian ways'. It's described as a religion by some and as a cult by others. And while it might have elements of both, it really is neither. There are practices of free love and psychokinesis strewn throughout. In my opinion, he is really unlocking barriers that humans have placed upon themselves. These barriers that Martians have somehow broken down.
     Stranger in a Strange Land is a really great story about a human Martian who is trying to understand why humans act the way they do. While it asks you to question human nature and who you are, it's not all "hey look at me, I'm serious." It has several uplifting moments as well. On the other hand, I find humor in strange things. Robert Heinlein is probably more known for his patriotism and sexist undertones. I'm not really one to advocate either (sexism sucks, yeah I know), but I'm also not going to completely disregard an author/artist based on his or her personal beliefs (ie. Orson Scott Card, who sounds like a HUGE douche in person, wrote the highly acclaimed Ender novels). In the end however, there is more to this book than I can type on here and I would implore anyone to read the unabridged version. 
     Upon finishing it, I thought to myself, "That might be my favorite book I've ever read". Although to be honest, I find myself saying that somewhat often when I read books that I really enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment