Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Hitchhiker's Guide

I watched the movie adaptation of the Hitchhiker's Guide the year I graduated high school and really enjoyed it. It took me a while to actually get a copy of the book and read it. I recently found a copy of the leather-bound Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide at a great used bookshop for 5 bucks. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is just the first in a series of five books. I read a review of the book and saw that a person referred to it as a combination of Kurt Vonnegut satire/strangeness with Monty Python-ish humor. I wouldn't say that is too far off.


It can definitely be referred to as a sci-fi comedy. It is sometimes over-the-top, sometimes ridiculous, and sometimes just plain silly. It starts off with the protagonist, Arthur Dent, being up in arms because his house is set to be demolished in order to make way for a freeway. Several minutes later he finds himself on an alien spacecraft with his good friend Ford (who just revealed he is also an alien). The Earth is demolished and only two human inhabitants remain because they were taken away by different aliens. What follows is as goofy as it is engaging. Advice on how to travel the cosmos and deal with different alien races. The answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe, and everything? 42. How the Universe was created? A sneeze. Why the Earth was created? It's a deeper machine to figure out the actual question of life, the universe, and everything.

I think I just realized that I don't really like writing too much about plots and storylines of books. I just like to write my thoughts on them. This is not the typical kind of book that I would usually read, but I enjoyed it nonetheless and will most likely read the rest in the series within a few years.

No comments:

Post a Comment