Friday, May 24, 2013

The Hobbit

For over the misty mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns cold
We must away, ere break of day
To find our long-forgotten gold






















What can be said about this great fantasy adventure tale that hasn't already been said? I wanted to give it a re-read last year before the movie came out, but only now got around to doing it. I'm glad I did. I first read this as a kid (maybe around 12 years ago?) but remembered very little except for the forest journey and the part where Bilbo encounters Gollum and the ring. Really glad I finally read it again after all these years. Tolkien's way of telling the story is done in a way that I can only describe as merry. I could just imagine an old man narrating parts of the story to me. There was a time when I would have probably skimmed through the poems/songs in the book. But I took my time with reading it this time, and it was much better. I watched the movie earlier this year and while it was definitely enjoyable, there's always that magical feeling that arises when reading the original work in paperback.

The book focuses heavily and the plot, which is pure adventure. It focuses on the Hobbit, Bilbo Baggins, as he travels with a group of 13 dwarves to reclaim their land and gold from Smaug (a great name for a dragon). With initial guidance of Gandalf the wizard, they set off on their journey. During the trek they encounter trolls, goblins, giant spiders, eagles, wolves, elves, humans, and of course Smaug the dragon. The Hobbit, initially thought to be nothing more than an extra (little) body soon proves himself to be a valuable member of the group time and time again. Elements of heroism and dignity are prevalent within the book.

Sometimes I like to take a break from science fiction and this was perfect. Enchanting, magical, and captivating. I used to have the version of the book with Tolkien' own water color painting as the cover, but the spine fell apart and I'm guessing it ended up in the trash at some point. Glad I found the same version recently at John King. I will go on to read the Lord of the Rings sometime soon, as that has been on my reading list since I was in the 6th grade. I just have to find the printing of the Fellowship with Tolkien's artwork, I already have the other two. Read it and die.


No comments:

Post a Comment