Tuesday, May 14, 2013

I'm lazy

Have I really not finished a book since Hyperion? I guess so. I suck. I'm about half way through several though. I'm halfway through Fall of Hyperion, but I left that in Chicago last weekend. I have about 30 pages left on the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy...I'll probably finish that tomorrow. I'm halfway through Left Hand of Darkness, but it's been so long since I was reading that book that I should really just pick it up from the beginning again. Have some pretty good progress on a couple non-fiction books too. Now that I have time on my hands again, I have time to do the things that I enjoy. Like..practice guitar, read, and listen to music. . . Currently listening to Roky Erickson and the Aliens. This album (The Evil One) is awesome. Always puts me in a great mood. I first heard it on a 60 degree day in March quite a few years ago, so it reminds me of a certain warmth whenever I hear it.

Time to switch gears. I think these might be my top 2 metal albums. I usually hate questions that ask for lists of favorites because there's usually a ton of "favorites" and different albums have their own personal qualities. But I was listening to Abigail in my car (it was probably my 3rd or 4th time through listening to it because apparently I hate taking ten seconds to switch cassettes) and just thought to myself that this might be my favorite album (ever? I don't know...metal? yes.) This album is the ultimate King Diamond classic. Sure, it doesn't have the raw edge appeal of Mercyful Fate, but this is not Mercyful Fate. No other King Diamond album consistently holds the same atmosphere and level of musicianship as heard on this album. Don't get me wrong, other KD albums are incredible as well. But the structure, vocals, and guitars on this album are just so great. The solos and leads are a perfect mesh between precision and feeling. The guitarists obviously know their stuff (theory/scales/whatever), but it sounds like they just take their knowledge of that and play straight from the heart without holding back. So many great passages on this album.

Baby Abigail was eating, Oh I cannot tell you!


Dissection's The Somberlain is another favorite of mine. I don't know if I can completely understand why. Ulver's Bergtatt was the first black metal album I heard and I absolutely loved it. So one might think that I should hold Bergtatt in a higher regard. While I do hold that album in very high regard, there is still something about this record that captivates me. It could be a bright sunny day when I put on this album, but still feel moved by the haunting guitar melodies and crushing vocals. The minute-long classical guitar passages are great as well. They work well to break up the songs and add a unique feeling to the overall album. Along with Abigail, this album is a definite influence on my guitar playing (as well as tons of other guitarists/albums, of course). Strange that two of my favorite albums have such similar artwork. Coincidence?

 I am dying! Death does heal me!



Well, I just finished The Hitchhiker's Guide, so I think my next post might be about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment